Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Writerly To-Dos

1. Finalize presentation for Career Day at school Friday. Tools of the trade I plan to bring along: my trusty notebook, my lucky purple pen, notecards, computer, a stack of books featuring some of my favorites for fifth graders, excerpts from my current work-in-progress, poems by Jack Prelutsky, and a short writing exercise (yet to be determined.)

2. Prep for Saturday's Easter Seals Telethon interview in which Elena and Jewel will be interviewed, and I'll have a chance to talk up "Special Gifts: Women Writers on the Happiness, the Heartache and the Hope of Raising a Special Needs Child" (Wyatt-Mackenzie, June 2007).

3. Packing for the SCBWI Illinois Writer's Retreat to be held at the Cenacle Retreat Center near Lincoln Park in Chicago. Writers in residence will feature Sharon Darrow and Carmela Martino.

The focus of the weekend: character, relaxation, networking, and writing.

Our reading homework: The Higher Power of Lucky.

My packing list so far in no particular order:

*computer
*notecards
*basket of KM revisions, notes, notebooks
*yoga dvd
*craft book--either The Writing Life by Anne Dillard or Writing Past Dark: Envy, *Fear, Distraction, and Other Dilemmas in the Writer's Life by Bonnie Friedman.
*children's books for the book swap
*picture books featuring characters I love

Current read: The New Kid on the Block, poems by Jack Prelutsky (snagged for 25 cents at a church rummage sale last week.)

No comments: