Thursday, April 27, 2006

What Yoga Has Taught Me About Writing, Part V

A few weeks before E's surgery in early February, my writer's brain was frantic, consumed by fears that her aneurysm would rupture before the lead physicians performed surgery to repair it.

Faced by the need to reclaim my center, and stay strong in the face of E's surgery and recovery, I returned to yoga after drifting away from the practice several years ago. Little did I know that in addition to helping me with my stress the ancient art would inform my writing.

I've written about what yoga has taught me about writing here, here, here, and here.

Here's yet another reason to give yoga a place of honor, and continue it's regular practice despite my bum foot:

A study in NeuroReport indicates daily meditators have a thicker cortex, the region of the brain associated with concentration, memory and focus. In addition, regular practice seems to offset age-related cortical thinning, one of the factors associated with Alzheimer's.

Om.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi:
I feel like a bit of a stalker. I read your blog all the time. I have wanted to post for awhile but I've been chicken.
But I really find your posts uplifiting. I find how you write about your child so filled with grace. Thanks.
I am part of SCBWI Chicago.
JCJ

Kim Winters said...

Your positive feedback is much appreciated! When I launched Kat's Eye last fall, my goal was to share my creative process through candid posts about my struggles, insights, and successes. My hope was that other writers would leave here feeling inspired to keep writing, especially on dark days when life conspires to keep us from our keyboards. Hearing from you gives me hope that at least one fellow writer out there in the world wide web has discovered insights here. Thanks for making my day!