Thursday, January 26, 2006

Burning Water in The Zone

This past week, with both S and E finally on the upside of their sinus infections (and back at school), I've been taking advantage of my uninterrupted free time to dive back into my work in progress. Feels good to back. Not only have I missed the keyboard and my characters, I've missed The Zone.

If you're a writer, artist, or athlete, you've probably spent time in The Zone. It exists outside of time. So far out, in fact, that you've no idea what's going on around you, and don't care that you don't. You become one with your story, painting, or project. And suddenly you've become lost in a book. Only the task at hand matters. And suddenly you realize you've spent two hours revising, instead of 30 minutes.

I've burned water while in The Zone. I've also forgotten to pick up the girls from school. Though working from the Zone has its downsides, I strive always to enter it when I write.

My best writing happens in The Zone. It's where I can inhabit my characters so deeply, it takes an hour or more after quitting to shake the sensation of straddling two worlds. And it's where I know with such certainty what my characters will do next that I can see the entire quilt of my story taking shape.

Appetite for writing: Hungry for my work in progress. And anxious to burn water.

1 comment:

Homie Bear said...

I wish there was some way to safely initiate that state on demand. But if it were, everything would be too easy.