Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Summertime, School Days, and Searching for My Muse at O'dark Thirty

Don't get me wrong. I love my girls and the chance to spend the summer exploring and lounging and wriggling our toes in the fresh-mown grass. What I don't love is the loss of uninterrupted writing time our relaxed schedule brings.

Last year, I ensured regular butt-in-chair time despite having my younger two underfoot by launching my Summer Writing Experiment and dragging myself out of bed to write at o'dark thirty each morning. Working on re-visions before the girls needed me was good for my soul and essential for my muse. The daily routine helped keep my characters near the surface so that whenever I sat down ready to work, they joined me without hesitation.

This summer, despite pleading and prodding, my muse refused to join me at my keyboard more than a handful of times during my 5 a.m. writing sessions. It wanted to work mid afternoons which conflicted with our summer schedule. To say that I've been frustrated by this turn of events would be an understatement. Sigh.

E returned to school full-time yesterday. S returns next Tuesday. At the risk of sounding like an ungrateful mom, I'm relieved. Here's hoping my muse is, too.

No comments: