Wednesday, June 06, 2007

One Writer Mom's Solution to Summer Break: Writing at O'Dark Thirty

This week in an effort to protect the momentum I've developed on KM, and to complete a FINAL draft within six months, I launched summer writing hours. My alarm sounds at *gasp* 5 a.m.

Getting up has been difficult, but not impossible (because nature usually calls around that time anyway). Staying up is another thing all together, but it's getting easier.

My morning routine so far this week:

1. drag myself out of bed after hitting the snooze button once (okay twice)
2. shlep down the hall to the bathroom
3. wander downstars (painfully aware of every ache in my no-longer-twenty-year-old-body)
4. put on the kettle for tea
5. thump over to the computer
7. call up KM
8. stare at the screen
9. decipher what I wrote the day before
10. start typing

The first few minutes are drivel, but by the time P's alarm sounds at 6:30 or so, I'm usually in the groove and have been for quite some time.

This is good. As long as I can keep up this routine, I'll have more than pieces parts to sub to my crit group next time.

No comments: