Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Critique Groups, Angiograms, Choir concerts (and a Duck Sighting)

What do critique groups, choir concerts and angiograms have in common? They're but a small sampling of the events/activities competing with butt-in-chair time this month.

1. Critique group--Technically this activity doesn't compete with butt-in-chair time so much as inform it; but it bears mentioning because the three-plus hours we spend together twice monthly represents a considerable amount of time away from my work-in-progress. Re crit group, J, A and I met today, and I'm thrilled to report that after months of writing my characters into one corner after another as I experimented with various entries into KM, I finally won an enthusiastic thumbs up re my current approach! Next meeting, scheduled for two weeks from today, has been postponed for a week because of a heavy-duty medical test for my middle daughter E. (Hence #2.)

2. Angiogram for E--This upcoming test is a necessary evil in our quest to keep E on the road to recovery. Here's the backstory: In 2001, our middle daughter E suffered from ruptured brain anerysm. She was nine at the time. The event left her in a coma and unable to walk and talk. She defied all odds by learning to walk and talk again, but remains prone to aneurysms. We need regular pictures of her brain in order to check that no new problems areas have developed. The look-see is called a brain angiogram. The last time we did a test like this, we learned E needed surgery to prevent a rupture. My muse is less than thrilled with this upcoming test. Sitting butt in chair long enough to put in my two pages for the day has been a challenge. I didn't connect until today that maybe the upcoming test was to blame. Probably also explains why even with Jazzercise 4 times weekly to combat stress, I've been grinding my teeth at night.

3. Choir Concert--Amidst the stress of experimenting with KM and making a conscious effort not to worry about E's upcoming test (after all, it is what it is, and no amount of worrying will change the results), I've been actively embracing the inevitable concerts and awards ceremonies that come with the end of the school year. Last night was my youngest's choir concert. Tonight, she bridges from Junior Girl Scout to Cadet.

4. Duck Sighting--Spotted a female mallard standing on our walkway before butt-in-chair time yesterday morning. I take this as a good omen that the eggs she laid aren't testers. With a cat and two retrievers in the household, why else would she risk hanging around so close to the house?

No comments: