Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Amusing the Muse--Eowyn Challenge Update

One of the most valuable lessons I learned while pursuing my MFA in writing from Vermont College is the need to care for my muse. If she's content, I am, too. And when I finally sit butt in chair to work on KM, I find I'm able to enter my characters more fully, and, more often than not, end up with creative that reads well enough to keep the next day.

One activity that continues to amuse my muse: my participation in the Eowyn Challenge in which a walker can track his or her mileage based on Frodo and Sam's journey to Mount Doom and back again in J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings trilogy. My first goal is to walk to Rivendell. Following in the hobbits' footsteps, I've logged enough miles to dine with the elves, meet Merry at Buckleberry Ferry, escape the black rider, spend the night at Crickhollow, and enter the Old Forest where it won't be long before I meet Tom Bombadil.

No comments: