Monday, November 20, 2006

Crit Groups, Short Stories, and E on her New Bike



A few weeks ago I posted news about writing a grant for E to receive a handcycle from Athletes Helping Athletes, and winning said grant. I wanted to post a pic of E on her cruiser to accompany that post, but was unable to do so because our camera was on the fritz at the time. Well, we finally convinced Best Buy to give us a replacement camera while they continue to "fix" the one that's been in and out of their shop since Labor Day. Which means we were able to take a pic late yesterday afternoon. Sorry about the lighting. By the time P and I figured out all the bells and whistles on the camera, the sun had nearly set.

One the writing front, critique group meets today. On tap for me: feedback on my ghost story so far. It's not quite done, but almost there...probably less than 500 words more to wrap it up. I can't believe I've been working on it for this long. I started this puppy midsummer. I remember Sharon Darrow mentioning in a Vermont College discussion once that she averaged nine months or so to draft and finalize a short story. I didn't quite grok the concept then. Now I do. Syncing the events so they unfold just right is like piecing together a puzzle when you don't know it's shape.

No comments: